Monday, January 11, 2010

Cca #2: Courage & Strength


Sometimes, those with chronic illnesses find themselves in a literal fight for their lives.  I have found that there is a certain disposition someone has to have in order to survive. Some people refer to it as courage, or strength. Because I don’t think the dictionary defines them adequately, I’m going to give you my personal opinion of what those words mean.
Strength: An inner power we all have that aids us in many of our endeavors, but the most basic of them being to survive.
Courage: Facing what you must and doing what is required to win (or, survive).  Courage has an aspect of action too, for in order to demonstrate courage, one must do something about it.
You have to have strength, and you have to have courage. Without them the unexpected turns of life will catch you by surprise, and knock you off your feet.
When people say that someone is courageous I think of people I know who are courageous. I think of the people I know who continue to fight every day, no matter what, without regrets. I think of people who have done things they are afraid or reluctant to do in spite of the fact that it’s difficult. Courage is rare in a lot of people, but common in people with chronic illnesses, and I am strengthened by their examples. 
These people understand that in spite of everything that has happened to them or how hard their lives are, one constantly must fight to conquer the next thing; these extraordinary people are putting the future there for themselves and for those they love.  They are living in the moment, never becoming complacent about their lives.
I can tell you from my own experience that I do it because I have to, because I have a desire to live, because I refuse to be a victim, and because I want the future I’m always putting out in front of me.
We are strong because we must be to get through life. We are courageous because we do what we have to do. And we are these things so we may live; without regrets, for as long we can.

Love, 
Phoebe 

No comments: